New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has the opportunity to shape the Bench of the New York Court of Appeals during his first term and, if re-elected, second term. In light of Judge Theodore Jones’ untimely death, the Governor has yet another opportunity to nominate another judge to New York’s high court.
New York’s Commission on Judicial Nomination recently forwarded its list of judicial candidates to the Governor. The candidates endorsed by the commission are:'
- Justice Sheila Abdus-Salaam, Appellate Division, First Department;
- Justice Eugene Fahey, Appellate Division, Fourth Department;
- Justice John Leventhal, Appellate Division, Second Department;
- Justice Dianne Renwick, Appellate Division, First Department;
- David Schulz, partner, Levine Sullivan Koch & Schulz;
- Maria Vullo, partner, Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison; and
- Rowan Wilson, partner, Cravath, Swaine & Moore.
The Governor has up to the first week of April 2013 to nominate one of the candidates.